STORY VENTURES MANAGEMENT, LLC
Effective date: January 8, 2024
Use of the term “Personal Data” herein means any information that identifies or relates to a particular individual and also includes information referred to as “personally identifiable information” or “personal information” under applicable data privacy laws, rules or regulations.
- Categories of Personal Data We Collect.
The chart below identifies the categories of Personal Data that we have collected over the past 12 months or may collect in the future:
Identifying Information that You Voluntarily Choose to Provide
- Identifying information in your emails, letters, blog posts, submissions or other communications directed to us
- Service Providers
- Parties You Authorize, Access or Authenticate
Categories of Sources of Personal Data
We collect Personal Data about you from the following categories of sources:
- When you provide such information directly to us.
- When you use the Services.
- When you voluntarily provide information in free-form text through the Services or through responses to surveys or questionnaires.
- When you send us an email or otherwise communicate with us.
- When you use the Site and such information is collected automatically.
- Through Cookies (defined in the “Tracking Tools” section below).
- Third Parties
- Third parties may help us provide you with customer support.
Our Commercial or Business Purposes for Collecting Personal Data
- Providing, Customizing and Improving the Services
- Providing you with the Services you request.
- Meeting or fulfilling the reason you provided the information to us, including to deliver our newsletters and emails and to facilitate events.
- Communicating with you about the Services, including Services announcements.
- Providing support and assistance for the Services.
- Improving and developing the Services, including research, testing and internal analytics.
- Protecting against, deterring or otherwise addressing fraud, security and debugging.
- Carrying out other business purposes stated when collecting your Personal Data or as otherwise set forth in applicable data privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (the “CCPA”).
- Corresponding with You
- Responding to correspondence that we receive from you, contacting you when necessary or requested, and sending you information related to us.
- Sending emails and other communications according to your preferences or that display content that we think will interest you.
- Meeting Legal Requirements and Enforcing Legal Terms
- Fulfilling our legal obligations under applicable laws, rules and regulations, court orders and other applicable legal requirements.
- Protecting against, deterring or otherwise addressing illegal, fraudulent or otherwise harmful actions and maintaining the safety, security and integrity of the Services.
- Enforcing any agreements with you.
- Responding to claims that any content available via the Services violates third-party rights.
- Resolving disputes.
We will not collect additional categories of Personal Data or use the Personal Data we collected for materially different, unrelated or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
- How we Share Your Personal Data.
We may disclose your Personal Data to the categories of service providers or other parties identified in this section. Depending on state laws that may be applicable to you, some of these disclosures may constitute a “sale” of your Personal Data. For more information, please refer to the state-specific sections below.
- Service Providers. These parties help us provide the Services or perform business functions on our behalf. They include:
- Hosting, communications and other technology providers, including providers that help us manage our blog, newsletter signups, email services and for event registration.
- Parties You Authorize, Access or Authenticate
- Third parties you access through the Services.
We may share any Personal Data that we collect with third parties in furtherance of the purposes described under “Meeting Legal Requirements and Enforcing Legal Terms” in the “Our Commercial or Business Purposes for Collecting Personal Data” section above.
All of your Personal Data that we collect may be transferred to a third party if we undergo a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction in which that third party assumes control of our business (in whole or in part). Should one of these events occur, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you before your information becomes subject to different privacy and security policies and practices.
Data that is Not Personal Data
We may create aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data from the Personal Data we collect, including by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to a particular user. We may use such aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze, build and improve the Services, provided that we will not share such data in a manner that could identify you.
- Tracking Tools.
We may use the following types of Cookies:
- Essential Cookies. Essential Cookies may be required for providing you with features or services that you request. Disabling these Cookies may make certain features and services unavailable.
- Functional Cookies. Functional Cookies are used to record your choices and settings regarding our Services, maintain your preferences over time and recognize you when you return to our Services. These Cookies help us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Performance/Analytical Cookies. Performance/Analytical Cookies allow us to understand how visitors use our Services. They do this by collecting information about the number of visitors to the Services, what pages visitors view on our Services and how long visitors are viewing pages on the Services. Performance/Analytical Cookies also help us measure the performance of our advertising campaigns in order to help us improve our campaigns and the Services’ content for those who engage with our advertising.
You can decide whether or not to accept Cookies through your internet browser’s settings. Most browsers have an option for turning off the Cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new Cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new Cookie in a variety of ways. You can also delete all Cookies that are already on your device.
To explore what Cookie settings are available to you, look in the “preferences” or “options” section of your browser’s menu. To obtain more information about Cookies, including information about how to manage and delete Cookies, please visit https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/ or http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
- Security and Retention.
We seek to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use and disclosure using appropriate physical, technical, and administrative security measures and storage and processing practices based on the type of Personal Data. For example, the Site uses industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to allow for the encryption of Personal Data you provide to us. We retain Personal Data about you for as long as necessary to provide the Services to you, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. We may further retain information in an anonymous or aggregated form where that information would not identify you personally.
Although we work to protect the security of your data that we hold in our records, please be aware that no method of transmitting data or storing data over the Internet is completely secure. We cannot guarantee the complete security of any data you share with us, and except as expressly required by law, we are not responsible for the theft, destruction, loss or inadvertent disclosure of your information or content.
- Personal Data of Minors.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data about children under 16 years of age. If we learn that we have collected personal information from an individual under 16 years of age without parental consent, we will delete such information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 years of age may have provided Personal Data to us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Privacy Rights of United States Residents.
California Resident Rights
If you are a California resident, you have the rights set forth in this section. Please see the “Exercising Your Rights under the CCPA” section below for instructions regarding how to exercise these rights. Please note that we may process Personal Data of our customers’ end users or employees in connection with our provision of certain services to our customers. If we are processing your Personal Data as a service provider, you should contact the entity that collected your Personal Data in the first instance to address your rights with respect to such data. Additionally, please note that these rights are subject to certain conditions and exceptions under applicable law, which may permit or require us to deny your request.
You have the right to request certain information about our collection and use of your Personal Data. In response, we will provide you with the following information in the past 12 months:
- The categories of Personal Data that we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which that Personal Data was collected.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your Personal Data.
- The categories of third parties with whom we have shared your Personal Data.
- The specific pieces of Personal Data that we have collected about you.
If we have disclosed your Personal Data to any third parties for a business purpose over the past 12 months, we will identify the categories of Personal Data shared with each category of third party recipient. If we have sold your Personal Data over the past 12 months, we will identify the categories of Personal Data sold to each category of third party recipient.
You may request the above information beyond the 12-month period, but no earlier than January 1, 2022. If you do make such a request, we are required to provide that information unless doing so proves impossible or would involve disproportionate effort.
You have the right to request that we delete the Personal Data that we have collected about you. Under the CCPA, this right is subject to certain exceptions: for example, we may need to retain your Personal Data to provide you with the Services or complete a transaction or other action you have requested, or if deletion of your Personal Data involves disproportionate effort. If your deletion request is subject to one of these exceptions, we may deny your deletion request.
You have the right to request that we correct any inaccurate Personal Data we have collected about you. Under the CCPA, this right is subject to certain exceptions: for example, if we decide, based on the totality of circumstances related to your Personal Data, that such data is correct. If your correction request is subject to one of these exceptions, we may deny your request.
Personal Data Sales and Shares Opt-Out
We will not sell or share your Personal Data, and have not done so over the last 12 months. To our knowledge, we do not sell or share the Personal Data of minors under 16 years of age.
We Will Not Discriminate Against You for Exercising Your Rights Under the CCPA
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA. We will not deny you our goods or services, charge you different prices or rates, or provide you a lower quality of goods and services if you exercise your rights under the CCPA. However, we may offer different tiers of our Services as allowed by applicable data privacy laws (including the CCPA) with varying prices, rates or levels of quality of the goods or services you receive related to the value of Personal Data that we receive from you.
Exercising Your Rights under CCPA
To exercise the rights described in this section, you or your Authorized Agent (defined below) must send us a request that (1) provides sufficient information to allow us to verify that you are the person about whom we have collected Personal Data, and (2) describes your request in sufficient detail to allow us to understand, evaluate and respond to it. Each request that meets both of these criteria will be considered a “Valid Request.” We may not respond to requests that do not meet these criteria. We will only use Personal Data provided in a Valid Request to verify your identity and complete your request. You do not need an account to submit a Valid Request.
We will work to respond to your Valid Request within the time period required by applicable law. We will not charge you a fee for making a Valid Request unless your Valid Request(s) is excessive, repetitive or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that your Valid Request warrants a fee, we will notify you of the fee and explain that decision before completing your request.
You may submit a Valid Request by emailing us at email@example.com.
You may also authorize an agent (an “Authorized Agent”) to exercise your rights on your behalf. To do this, you must provide your Authorized Agent with written permission to exercise your rights on your behalf, and we may request a copy of this written permission from your Authorized Agent when they make a request on your behalf
Other California Resident Rights
California residents are entitled to contact us to prevent disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes, under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84. If you would like to submit such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada Resident Rights
If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt out of the sale of certain Personal Data to third parties who intend to license or sell that Personal Data. If you are a Nevada Resident, you can exercise this right by contacting us at email@example.com with the subject line “Nevada Do Not Sell Request” and providing us with your name. Please note that we do not currently sell your Personal Data as sales are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A.
- Contact Information.